LI Winter Big 10 - Week 5 (1/17/11)
1. ST. ANTHONY’S GIRLS BASKETBALL The Friars have won 10 straight games after defeating St. Dominic, 49-20. Symone Kelly and Jennifer Sixsmith each scored nine points as 10 different players scored in the win. St. Anthony’s is 6-0 in the CHSAA and has a two-game lead on three teams tied for second.
2. ST. MARY’S BOYS BASKETBALL The Gaels outlasted L.I. Lutheran, 57-55, in a thrilling non-league matchup on Thursday night. Chavaughn Lewis scored 20 points and Charles McCann contributed 17. McCann converted a three-point play late to give St. Mary's a 67-66 non-league win over tough New Rochelle on Saturday.
3. LONGWOOD WRESTLING The Lions showed why they’re the top team on Long Island by winning the prestigious Eastern States Tournament at Sullivan Community College this weekend. Corey Rasheed led the way with a second place finish at 112 pounds. Longwood also had three third place finishers in Nicky Hall (145), Ricky Renck (152), and Patrick Jennings (160). The Lions have a dual meet winning streak of 53 consecutive wins.
4. EAST ISLIP GIRLS BOWLING Different week, same situation for the Redmen, who continue to distinguish themselves. East Islip had three wins this week and improved their Island-high average to 1003.2. Lena Sorrentino, with a 710 series Tuesday and a 644 Thursday, now has the 2nd highest average (209).
5. ST. ANTHONY’S WRESTLING St. Anthony’s did not crown a champion but the overall team depth and outstanding wrestling helped the Friars win the Five Counties Invite at Fountain Valley HS in Los Angeles, California. The Friars scored a tournament high 173.5 points to outpoint Selma HS of California, the defending state champion, which finished second with 147.5 points.
6. EAST ISLIP BOYS BOWLING Defeated second place West Islip, 3-0, behind Jacob Klein's season-best 743 series and Joe Griffin's 277 in Game 3 as East Islip (11-0) extended its unbeaten streak to 44 matches. The Redmen feature six bowlers with averages over 200 - led by Griffin's 224.3 - for a 1,084.9 team average, the highest on Long Island.
7. ST. ANTHONY’S BOYS ICE HOCKEY Nick Randazzo scored the go-ahead goal in a 5-4 win over Fordham Prep at Nassau Coliseum. The Friars beat rival Monsignor Farrell, 5-1, behind the stellar net-work of Sean Keating. The reigning CHSHL champs have outscored their opponents 31-13 this season.
8. WARD MELVILLE GIRLS FENCING Abby Siskidis, Colleen Scriven and Kristen Fischbach combined to go undefeated in foil against Centereach and Whitman as Ward Melville ended the week with an overall record of 6-0. They have 130 consecutive dual meet wins.
9. WARD MELVILLE BOYS FENCING Ward Melville finished the week at 2-0 with wins against Centereach and Whitman to remain undefeated on the season.
10. HALF HOLLOW HILLS BOYS SWIMMING Matt DeBlasio won the 200-yard freestyle (1:42.62) in school record time as Hills defeated Sachem North 92-86 on Jan. 10. The Thundercolts followed that up with a 93-85 defeat of Smithtown on Jan. 13. Hills is aiming for its fifth perfect season after going undefeated in dual-meets, league championships and county finals the past four.