Power rankings: WE/HV girls basketball (1/17)
Follow Westchester/Hudson Valley girls basketball news on Twitter: @MSGVarsityKDJ
Westchester/Hudson Valley Girls Basketball Rankings
1. Ossining (11-0): After Sunday's stunning performance at Irvington, the Pride are as firmly entrenched atop this poll as the Mount Vernon boys are atop theirs. The level of talent around Saniya Chong should not be understated. This is a great team from top to bottom.
2. Irvington (10-1): No shame in losing to an Ossining team that will likely play for a Class AA state championship in March. The Bulldogs learned a lot from Sunday's loss. As for still being No. 2 in the rankings, it's hard to drop them below Pearl River considering Irvington blew out Ursuline and Pearl River needed overtime to beat the Koalas on Monday.
3. Pearl River (10-0): The schedule really heats up this week for the Pirates, who host unbeaten Tappan Zee on Wednesday and then travel to Albertus Magnus on Friday night. Even though Pearl River is the favorite in Class A, a split this week wouldn't be the worst thing.
4. Tappan Zee (11-0): The Dutchmen face their toughest test of the regular season on Wednesday when they travel to Pearl River. The Pirates rarely lose at home. But have they faced a team as deep and as fundamentally sound as the Dutchies? It's unlikely.
5. Albertus Magnus (8-3): The Falcons grip on to the No. 5 spot despite a loss to Notre Dame in a tournament over the weekend. Albertus hosts Pearl River on Friday in another important matchup.
6. Lourdes (9-1): The Warriors burst on to the scene with a pivotal win last week over John Jay-EF, which was riding high after beating Arlington. The dynasty of the last decade may be back contending for a title this season.
7. John Jay-East Fishkill (10-2): The loss to Lourdes wasn't that much of a shock. The scores, however, being 62-44 was. Jay has the veteran leadership to rebound from a bad night and keep their quest of getting to the County Center alive.
8. Cornwall (6-2): With no consensus No. 1 team in Section 9, the Dragons take the honor considering both of their defeats were to upstate opponents. Cornwall has overpowered its in-section competition and is a clear favorite to win Class A.
9. Hamilton (10-1): The Red Raiders return to the rankings after sweeping the weekend three games, including a win over Class A contender John Jay-Cross River. Class C Hamilton is showing some guts on Friday, taking on top-ranked Ossining.
10. Arlington (9-2): The Admirals bounced back from their loss to John Jay-EF with dominant performances against Poughkeepsie and Ketcham. They get their crack at Lourdes on Wednesday before facing Cornwall on Saturday afternoon.
* Records as of 1/16
Section 1 Rankings
3. John Jay-EF
1. Pearl River
2. Tappan Zee
3. Albertus Magnus
3. Blind Brook
4. Putnam Valley
Section 9 Rankings
Large school (AA/A)
5. Valley Central
Small school (B/C)
1. Coleman Catholic
Email Kevin Devaney Jr. at Kdevaney@cablevision.com | Follow him on Twitter @MSGVarsityKDJ