LI Spring Big 10: GC LAX still on top
1. GARDEN CITY BOYS LACROSSE Devin Dwyer scored three times and added three assists as Garden City solidified its top ranking with a 13-4 win over Shoreham-Wading River. They are the new number one in the BIG 10. The top-ranked team in the nation, according to Inside Lacrosse, faces rival Manhasset in the Woodstick Classic next Saturday.
2. ST. ANTHONY'S GIRLS LACROSSE The Friars rebound quickly from their loss to Maryland's Bryn Mawr and dominated nationally-ranked opponents John Carroll (Md.), Sacred Heart and Garden City. Annie Heagerty scored five goals as fifth-ranked St. Anthony's topped No. 4 Garden City, 14-9, yesterday to capture Long Island bragging rights.
3. CHAMINADE BOYS LACROSSE The Flyers continue to cruise through the CHSAA. They battered St. John the Baptist, 14-4, as Tom Zenker and Ryan Lukacovic scored three goals each.
4. ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS TRACK Cameron Black took first in the 110 hurdles (14.59 seconds) last Saturday in the New York Relays at Icahn Stadium, while the 4 x 1,600 team of Kevin Kreider, Frank Segreto, Patrick Ginty and Tyler Wolfe took second in 18:00.36.
5. CLARKE BASEBALL The Rams swept Seaford, including two shutout wins. Matt Seelinger threw a three-hitter, walked three and struck out seven in a 6-0 win over Seaford in Nassau Conference A-VI.
6. COLD SPRING HARBOR BOYS TENNIS Remained undefeated with solid conference wins over Syosset and Port Washington, and a non-conference victory over Horace Mann. The five-time defending Long Island champions haven't lost in three years.
7. BAY SHORE SOFTBALL Bay Shore is 11-0 after a 4-2 win over Longwood in what was perhaps their most impressive win to date. Against Floyd the following day, Michelle DeVito went 5-for-5 as the Marauders cruised to a 15-2 win.
8. BAY SHORE GIRLS TRACK The Marauders take over the top spot in the girls track rankings after a big week. Jessica Gelibert (60.96 in the 400 hurdles) and Erica Silhan (5-5 in the high jump) moved to the top of the state rankings in their respective events and keyed the Marauders' team championship at the Red Raider Relays.
9. GARDEN CITY GIRLS TRACK The Trojans' 4 x 400 picked up right where they left off last winter, clocking a Long Island-best 3:51.03 to take ninth overall at the Penn Relays.
10. GARDEN CITY MAROON GIRLS GOLF Garden City Maroon defeated Cold Spring Harbor 9-0 last Tuesday to remain undefeated and up its county-match win-streak to 68. The Maroon team was led by Marisa Cameron and Alex Michielini, who each shot a 5-over-par 41 at Muttontown Country Club.
On the outside looking in -- Wantagh baseball, Garden City girls lacrosse, Half Hollow Hills girls badminton, Hauppauge girls lacrosse, Kellenberg softball, Half Hollow Hills East boys tennis, St. Anthony's boys lacrosse.