Gregg Sarra's Big 10 (10/19/10)
1. SACHEM NORTH FOOTBALL The Flaming Arrows went under the lights on MSG Varsity's "Friday Night Lights" and put on a show for the tri-state area. They beat Floyd, a perennial powerhouse in Suffolk's Division I, 40-6. Sachem North (6-0) hosts Longwood (5-1) Friday in another key matchup.
2. ST. ANTHONY'S FOOTBALL The Friars (6-0) continued to dismantle CHSFL opponents with another easy win. This time the Friars took out Chaminade, 28-0. They travel to once-beaten Holy Trinity Saturday at 1:30 p.m. in a rematch of last year's CHSFL championship game.
3. HALF HOLLOW HILLS BOYS VOLLEYBALL They have had no problems in dominating the rest of Suffolk League I. The question is: Can anybody even compete with this team?
4. GARDEN CITY FIELD HOCKEY It was business as usual as the Trojans had dominating wins over East Islip and Clarke. They did stumble on Thursday, playing a 1-1 draw with Cold Spring Harbor in a game that was called because of rain at halftime. Garden City (10-0-1) has outscored opponents 56-1.
5. FARMINGDALE BOYS GOLF Defending Long Island golf champion Farmingdale hasn't lost a stroke this season. Kyle Brey shot 2-under 34 on the front nine at Bethpage Green for Farmingdale (12-0), which shot 1-under 179 in a win over Island Trees in Nassau Conference IV.
6. WARD MELVILLE GIRLS SWIMMING The Patriots, who've won 18 consecutive Suffolk County titles, beat Lindenhurst, 54-45, last Wednesday to keep another perfect season alive.
7. WARD MELVILLE FIELD HOCKEY The Patriots continued their march through Suffolk with decisive wins over Commack and Smithtown East. Ward Melville is 10-0 in Division I.
8. ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS SOCCER The Friars won three more games, including a 4-2 win over St. John the Baptist after relinquishing a 2-0 lead. Andrew LoManto had two goals and one assist in the three games.
9. ST. ANTHONY'S GIRLS VOLLEYBALL They remain the class of the CHSAA and own impressive non-league wins over Long Beach, Massapequa and East Hampton.
10. SACHEM EAST BOYS CROSS COUNTRY Alex Saavedra took 6th in 15:19 and Joe DiRienzo was 9th in 15:31.9 at the Brown Invitational in Warwick, R.I., as Sachem East finished second overall. They're undefeated in League II.
On the outside looking in: Chaminade boys soccer, Garden City girls swimming, Oceanside football, Newfield football.