Big 10: Lawrence, Sachem East keep pace
1. SACHEM EAST FIELD HOCKEY The Flaming Arrows outscored opponents 18-1 en route to three wins last week. Kim Fazio totaled eight points, including five goals, during that stretch. They're 15-0 and goalie Jordan Miller has nine shutouts. Sachem East, having already secured the top seed in Suffolk Class A, will finish the regular season Wednesday against rival Ward Melville.
2. LAWRENCE FOOTBALL Junior Joe Capobianco threw for five touchdowns and 357 yards as the Golden Tornadoes rolled over previously unbeaten Plainedge, 63-0. The top-ranked Golden Tornadoes are 7-0 with a Long Island-leading 360 points.
3. BRENTWOOD BOYS SOCCER The Indians are 14-0 and clinched the Suffolk League I title with a 3-0 win over Sachem East. Carlos Menjivar scored two goals in the win. They also beat Sachem North, 1-0. They have 11 shutouts and are ranked third in the country in the NSCAA rankings.
4. SAYVILLE FOOTBALL The Golden Flashes have disposed of their top two opponents in Suffolk III in back-to-back weeks after a 42-9 thrashing of Kings Park. Senior quarterback Zach Sirico rushed for three scores and passed for two more as the Golden Flashes (7-0) extended Long Island's longest winning streak to 19.
5. MILLER PLACE GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY Tiana Guevara won the individual title at the Brown Northeast Cross Country Championship in Warwick, R.I. Guevara finished in 18:12.0, her twin sister Talia took fourth in 18:31.4 and Laura Nolan took fifth in 18:32.1 as the Panthers finished third in the team scoring.
6. SOUTH SIDE GIRLS SOCCER Julianna Pellegrini's first goal this season helped South Side to a 2-0 win over Plainedge. Meghan Hines was one of five players to score in a 5-1 win over Division as the Cyclones improved to 11-0-1. The defending Class A state champs have allowed four goals all season.
7. CONNETQUOT FOOTBALL The T-Birds continued their perfect season with a 41-7 win over Central Islip. Senior quarterback Brian McKean threw for two more touchdowns as Connetquot, Long Island's top-ranked team in the Large Schools poll, improved to 7-0. Linebacker Ryan Renfro leads the division's top defense into Friday's showdown at Sachem North.
8. ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS SOCCER Brendan Reardon scored the lone goal in a 1-0 win over defending CHSAA champion St. John the Baptist and Nick Cestaro scored in a 1-0 win over St. Mary's. The Friars improved to 12-2-1.
9. SYOSSET GIRLS TENNIS The Braves won the school's fourth consecutive Nassau title with a 5-2 victory over Port Washington. The Braves await the winner of the Suffolk championship and will compete for their fourth consecutive Long Island championship Oct. 30.
10. ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS CROSS COUNTRY The Friars set a meet record for seven-man average time en route to winning the team title in the Brown Northeast Cross Country Championship in Warwick, R.I. Patrick Ginty led the way with a seventh-place time of 15:50.5 as the Friars averaged a blazing 16:08.9 on the 5K course.
On the outside looking in: Northport boys cross country, Kings Park girls volleyball, Ward Melville girls gymnastics, Ward Melville girls gymnastics.