LI Spring Big 10 -- Week 10 (6/7)
1. BAY SHORE SOFTBALL Amber Fogarty's fourth inning three-run homer broke a 3-3 tie in Game 1 and Courtney Syrett hit a solo shot over a 10-foot high fence in a 19-4 Game 2 win, as Bay Shore won the Suffolk Class AA finals. This is Bay Shore's 13th Suffolk title since coach Jim McGowan, who's retiring after the season, took over the program in 1983. The combined 23 runs in Game 2 were the most ever scored in a Suffolk Large Schools softball championship.
2. GARDEN CITY GIRLS LACROSSE It's become routine. For the Trojans, June brings warm weather and championships. Garden City defeated Hauppauge, 13-7, to earn its seventh straight Long Island Class B title. The five-time defending state champs will face Yorktown in the state semifinals on Friday at SUNY-Cortland.
3. COLD SPRING HARBOR BOYS TENNIS Jensen Reiter and Alex Tropiano defeated Zain Ali and Eric Bertuglia, 6-4, 6-3, of Smithtown East in the deciding match at first singles as the Seahawks won their fourth straight Long Island title.
4. CHAMINADE BOYS GOLF The Flyers have won 56 straight CHSAA matches over the past four years. John Reali and Mike Hanley both shot even-par 35 on May 26 as they clinched their fourth straight league title with a win over St. Anthony’s.
5. ST. ANTHONY’S GIRLS LACROSSE The Friars finished their season two weeks ago, capping it with a fourth consecutive CHSAA Class AA championship and the No. 3 ranking in both the ESPN Rise and LaxPower national polls.
6. GARDEN CITY BOYS LACROSSE The Trojans are on a 12-game win streak, and in that time, have outscored their opponents, 153-29. Their latest victim was South Side in the Nassau Class B semifinals, 14-2. Tom Gordon scored three goals and Devin Dwyer added two goals and three assists. GC will play Manhasset in tomorrow's final, a rematch of the Wood Stick Classic, which the Trojans won 10-6.
7. CAREY BASEBALL The Seahawks earned the school’s first Long island championship with a 5-3 win over Sachem North. With a 1-2 power pitching punch of John Daddino and Jesse Montalto, Carey heads to Binghamton for the state championships.
8. FARMINGDALE SOFTBALL A 7-1 fourth-quarter outburst helped the No. 3 Bulls (15-3) earn a surprisingly easy, 15-7, semifinal upset at No. 2 Ward Melville. Matt Schultz scored four goals, Kyle Keenan and James Pannell each had three goals and Ryan Adler made 13 saves. The Bulls earned a rematch in the title game with No. 1 West Islip, which beat them 8-7 in overtime on May 6.
9. GARDEN CITY GIRLS GOLF They defeated Smithtown East by six strokes to win their fourth straight Long Island championship at Bethpage Red.
10. DIVISION BASEBALL The Warriors (16-0) enter the Suffolk Class B playoffs as the No. 1 seed and, along with West Islip, the only other undefeated team on Long Island. They are strongly motivated to return to the LIC, where they lost a heartbreaker in overtime to Garden City last year.
On the outside looking in -- St. Anthony’s boys track, St. Anthony’s girls track.