LI Big 10: Longwood continues to roar
1. ST. ANTHONY’S FOOTBALL The Friars beat Stepinac, 51-0, to extend Long Island’s longest current winning streak to 21. This is another typical St. Anthony’s monster on both sides of the ball.
2. BRENTWOOD BOYS SOCCER The Indians faced a big test last week and fared very well. They defeated league rivals and two of the top teams on the Island with a 2-0 win over Ward Melville and a 2-1 win over Commack. Freshman Ever Torres scored four goals in three wins.
3. MASSAPEQUA BOYS VOLLEYBALL Massapequa, the two-time defending Nassau champions, concluded another dominant week, sweeping both East Meadow and Syosset. They’ve won 18-of-19 sets in Conference AA-I.
4. SACHEM EAST FIELD HOCKEY The Flaming Arrows announced themselves last season, reaching the Suffolk A final. This year they're flat-out dominant and have yet to allow a goal. They beat defending Long Island champ Ward Melville, 4-0.
5. NORTH SHORE GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY The Vikings, a three-time defending Nassau overall cross country champs and the NY State Class A reigning champ with their top five runners back, won its first league meet of the season against Friends Academy and Carle Place.
6. GARDEN CITY FIELD HOCKEY The Trojans squared off against two teams they've grown accustomed to seeing in the county final. The results: a 3-0 win over Manhasset and a 7-0 rout of North Shore. Since its tie with Cold Spring Harbor on Sept. 16, Garden City has outscored opponents 15-1.
7. FREEPORT FOOTBALL Halfback Jere Brown ran for two scores and passed for another as Freeport rolled past Oceanside, 20-0. The Red Devils are 3-0 in Nassau Conference I.
8. LINDENHURST GIRLS VOLLEYBALL The Bulldogs (5-0) have swept their past four matches and remain the top Class AA school on Long Island.
9. ST. ANTHONY’S GIRLS SOCCER The wins haven’t exactly come as expected just yet but the Friars remain unbeaten. St. Anthony’s finished in a draw for the fourth time of this young season as Margo McGinty scored off an assist from Lisa Robiglio with just 30 seconds left to force a 1-1 tie with Kellenberg.
10. LONGWOOD FOOTBALL A week after their big win over Floyd, the undefeated Lions continue roll with a 33-6 win over Patchogue-Medford. Corry Wallace was the key to a the defense with two interceptions.
On the outside looking in -- Shoreham-Wading River field hockey, Massapequa girls soccer, Lindenhurst boys volleyball, Lindenhurst girls volleyball, Sayville football, Lynbrook football, Glenn girls volleyball.