LI Big 10: North Shore finishes on top
1. NORTH SHORE GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY Congratulations to the Vikings, ranked second nationally in all classifications by ESPN Rise, who ran past the competition in their march to the state Class B title at Vernon-Verona-Sherrill in Syracuse. Samantha Nadel won the state Class B race in 19:25.5, Brianna Nerud finished second in 19:45.9 and Jessica Donohue was third in 20:01.7. They are the BIG 10 Fall season champions.
2. ST. ANTHONY’S FOOTBALL The Friars extended their winning streak to 29 with a 14-0 win over Stepinac in the CHSFL Class AAA championship game. The Friars set a Long Island private school record of 29 consecutive wins winning their 10th title in 11 years.
3. SAYVILLE FOOTBALL Quarterback Steven Ferreira set the Long Island career record for touchdown passes with 73, including two when he led the Golden Flashes to the Long Island Class III crown with a 78-61 win over Lawrence. Zach Sirico tied an LIC record with six rushing touchdowns.
4. GLENN GIRLS VOLLEYBALL They did not a drop a game during the two-day state tournament in Glens Falls, sweeping Pelham on Sunday to win the Class B title. It is the Knights’ first state title since 2007 and fifth since 2003. Stony Brook University signee Melissa Rigo was named tournament MVP.
5. HICKSVILLE BOYS SOCCER Hicksville won its first Long Island championship since 1983 with a 2-0 win over Brentwood in Class AA. The Comets won their first state championship since 1979 with a 1-0 win over Webster Schroeder in the state Class AA finals. Lucas Munoz scored the goal. Hicksville had five shutouts in six postseason games.
6. SACHEM EAST FIELD HOCKEY It took two down-to-the-wire nail-biters, but Sachem East got it done in Cicero, winning its first Class A state title. Katie Trombetta, Jessica Caruana and Kristen Bagley delivered a 2-1 win (with a 3-0 round of strokes) in the semifinals, and Caruana scored in the sudden-victory second round of strokes to beat Mamaroneck, 1-0, for the title.
7. MACARTHUR GIRLS SOCCER Katie Gerdes and Arianna Montefusco got MacArthur (18-2) to the title game with two late goals in the a 2-1 semifinal win over Brockport and Jill Mulholland brought home the first state title in program history by scoring the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Arlington.
8. GARDEN CITY FIELD HOCKEY Garden City captured its 17th straight Nassau championship and a seventh consecutive Long Island title this season. They were denied a Class B state championship in a loss 3-1 loss to Lakeland. Catherine McTiernan's overtime goal lifted them over Maine-Endwell, 2-1, in the state semifinal.
9. SYOSSET GIRLS TENNIS The Braves won the Long Island championship for the third straight year. This time, they beat Half Hollow Hills East, the Suffolk champion, to remain undefeated. There is no state team tournament.
10. MASSAPEQUA BOYS VOLLEYBALL The Chiefs advanced out of pool play before losing to defending champion McQuaid Jesuit (Rochester) in the final of Saturday’s NYSPHSAA Division I state tournament. Christian Smith and Chris Husmann were named to the All-Tournament team. The Chiefs were 20-0 against Long Island teams this season, they won 60-of-62 sets before the state tourney.
On the outside looking in -- Newfield football, Floyd football, Glenn football, Ward Melville girls swimming, St. Anthony’s boys cross country, Garden City girls swimming.