LI Winter Big 10: EI bowling continues to roll
1. EAST ISLIP GIRLS BOWLING The East Islip girls, state runner-up last year, are off to another strong start and lead Long Island girls with a 1,003 average - a smidge ahead of Middle Country's 1,002 mark. The Redmen are led by freshman Olivia Lopera (208.7), Lena Sorrentino (203.9) and Jordan Kruger (192.6).
2. LONG ISLAND LUTHERAN BOYS BASKETBALL L.I. Lutheran (11-1) defeated Transit Tech, 73-58, as emerging scorer Tawayne Anderson contributed 17 points and Connecticut-bound center Kentan Facey had a dominant inside game with 15 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks. LuHi visits Baldwin on Saturday night.
3. WANTAGH WRESTLING The Warriors improved to 14-0 in dual meets, winning the unofficial state dual meet championships at Union-Endicott duals. The Warriors beat four of the top teams in the state. They edged Islip, 28-27, in the semifinals and downed Sachem East, 34-27, in the final. Dan McDevitt (170) and James Corbett (182) were both 4-0 in Binghamton.
4. ELMONT BOYS INDOOR TRACK The team has two of the top times in the country right now. The 4X400 relay team, comprised of seniors Chad Barker, Ayo Obadare,Roshane Wright, and Brandon Atkins ran a 3:22.02 at last week's Marine Corps Holiday Classic. Obadare also ran a 34.42 in the 300 earlier in the season, the top US time in that event.
5. WARD MELVILLE GIRLS FENCING Angela Zhang went 3-0 in foil and Melanie Holl and Kirsten Shaw added two wins apiece in epee as Ward Melville beat Huntington, 20-7, to remain unbeaten at 6-0. The Patriots won their 10th straight Long Island title last season and are on pace to defend the title.
6. EAST ISLIP BOYS BOWLING The Redmen are 7-0, lead Long Island with a 1,122.6 average and have five bowlers in the Suffolk top 15. They're led by Jacob Klein, whsoe 233.6 is tops in Suffolk, and Mike Kissel (231.7), who is fourth.
7. WARD MELVILLE BOYS FENCING Devon Reina and Michael Antipas were 3-0 in foil as Ward Melville downed Huntington 18-9 to improve to 6-0 in Suffolk matches. The Ward Melville boys are 4-0 and in search of their sixth straight Long Island title.
8. KELLENBERG GIRLS INDOOR TRACK They have three of the top times on LI, including a 40 foot, six inch shot put distance by Natalie Jean at the NSCHSAA Christmas Classic.
9. HALF HOLLOW HILLS HOCKEY The Hornets finished a strong 2012 winter with a 7-2 win over Northport/Huntington. Looming is a showdown with Connetquot/Sayville, who is a 12-1 squad.
10. MIDDLE COUNTRY BOYS BOWLING The defending Suffolk champs boast a 1,080 average, the second best average in Long Island, behind only East Islip. Middle Country has strong depth with six bowlers holding better than 200 averages, including Mike (232) and Dan Ruben (220.3).
On the outside looking in: St. Anthony's girls basketball, Long Island Lutheran girls basketball, Kellenberg boys basketball, Connetquot/Sayville hockey, Sachem East wrestling.