1. SACHEM EAST FIELD HOCKEY The Flaming Arrows went 3-0 last week with decisive wins over Commack, Harborfields and Sachem North. All they have left to accomplish now is securing the No. 1 seed in the Suffolk Class A playoffs. They'll finish the regular season with a tough matchup against Northport. They are the new number one in the BIG 10.
2. MASSAPEQUA BOYS VOLLEYBALL The Chiefs have won 37 consecutive sets and swept Port Washington last Wednesday in their most impressive performance to date. Only three matches separate them from an undefeated 16-0 regular season.
3. NORTH SHORE GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY The Vikings continued their march as Samantha Nadel and Brianna Nerud crossed the finish line together and took first in 18 minutes, 28 seconds as North Shore won its 50th straight cross-country conference meet at Bethpage State Park. The Vikings, whose conference winning streak dates to the 2008 season, placed nine runners in the top 10.
4. ST. ANTHONY’S FOOTBALL It took linebacker Dylan Cafarella’s key tackle on a two-point conversion late in the fourth quarter plus a game-clinching run by Dariyan Riley for the Friars to beat rival Chaminade, 21-13. The Friars’ win streak is now 25 and they host Iona Prep on Saturday. They’ve pulled out two tough games the last two weeks.
5. GARDEN CITY FIELD HOCKEY You know a team is dominant when they allow one goal and it's significant. The Trojans gave up a goal in a 2-1 win over Clarke, snapping their seven-game shutout streak. Nevertheless, Garden City went 3-0 last week.
6. FREEPORT FOOTBALL In its toughest challenge yet, Freeport proved it's above the rest in Nassau I. Maurice Irby had 229 yards and three touchdowns on 23 carries as Freeport downed East Meadow, 44-29. Isaiah Barnes passed for one touchdown and ran for two more for the defending Class I Long Island champs.
7. SYOSSET GIRLS TENNIS Syosset is 15-0 and looking for the school’s third straight Long Island championship. To make that a possibility they’ll have to beat Port Washington for the Nassau Conference title today.
8. SAYVILLE FOOTBALL All-time Long Island career passing yardage leader Steven Ferreira completed 14 of 19 passes for 205 yards and five touchdowns in the Golden Flashes’ 41-21 victory over Comsewogue. Ferreira has 20 TD passes for the season and 64 in his career, four behind L.I. leader Tony Capozzoli. Sayville (7-0) hosts Kings Park on Saturday.
9. SACHEM EAST BOYS SOCCER The Flaming Arrows picked up three more wins last week with shutouts over Sachem North and Commack, before holding off Longwood, 3-2. They close the season with home games against second-place Brentwood and third-place Ward Melville in Suffolk League I.
10. SAYVILLE GIRLS SOCCER The defending county champs went 3-0 last week to remain the only unbeaten in Suffolk with a perfect record at 14-0. They outscored opponents 19-0 behind multi-goal games from Madison Hoon, Kim Marra and Amanda Famularo.
On the outside looking in -- Half Hollow Hills East girls tennis, Ward Melville girls swimming, St. Anthony’s boys cross country, Lindenhurst boys volleyball, Brentwood boys soccer, Glenn girls volleyball.