LI Spring Big 10: GC LAX reigns
1. GARDEN CITY GIRLS LACROSSE The Trojans extended their win streak to 55 games with two victories last week. They beat Connecticut powerhouse Darien, 18-7, and then topped Conference II rival South Side, 18-3. Garden City, ranked No. 2 in the country, has outscored its last six opponents, 108-21. The Trojans lost to No. 1 Owings Mills (Md.) McDonogh, 20-9, in a tournament in Maryland yesterday.
2. GARDEN CITY BOYS LACROSSE A 12-11 win over the nation's top ranked team in Conestoga (Pa.) put the Trojans in the discussion for best team in the country.
3. GARDEN CITY GIRLS TRACK The Trojans continued their perfect season with a win in a Nassau Conference II tri-meet. Taylor Hennig keyed the victory with individual wins in the 400 (57.5 seconds) and the 200 (25.5) and was also a part of the winning 4 x 100 relay (52.3).
4. COLD SPRING HARBOR BOYS TENNIS Cold Spring Harbor remained unbeaten with a non-conference win over Whitman and a Nassau Conference I victory over Syosset. The five-time defending Long Island champions haven't lost in three years and are led by Duke-bound Josh Levine.
5. CHAMINADE BOYS LACROSSE The Flyers keep flying, crushing Kellenberg, 13-1, in CHSAA play. Dan O'Connell, Ryan Lukacovic, Tom Zenker and Paul Urbank each scored two goals. A huge test comes Saturday when Chaminade hosts Manhasset. Portable bleachers are being erected for that traditional game, with the crowd expected to exceed 2,000.
6. ST. ANTHONY'S BOYS TRACK The Friars held their own against a field of national powerhouses in last weekend's Taco Bell Track and Field Classic at Columbia, S.C. Cameron Black took fifth in the 110 hurdles (14.76) and Kevin Kreider took sixth in the 800 (1:55.79).
7. ST. ANTHONY'S GIRLS LACROSSE The Friars improved to 6-0 with league wins over St. John the Baptist and Kellenberg. Chrissy Schreiber totaled 10 points in the two games). St. Anthony's is now ranked third by LaxPower and ESPN Rise.
8. BAY SHORE SOFTBALL Pitcher Michelle DeVito went 3-0 this past week for the Marauders, including a nine-inning effort in a 5-4 win against Commack. Courtney Syrett hit two home runs in a 17-4 win over Patchogue-Medford.
9. GARDEN CITY MAROON GIRLS GOLF The Trojans are also quite good on the golf course. Garden City Maroon (5-0) defeated Garden City White and Hicksville to remain undefeated. They have a county match win-streak of 67. Maroon is led by sophomore Sam Sessa, who shot a two-over-par 38 on the front nine at Garden City CC this week.
10. BAY SHORE GIRLS TRACK Bay Shore could be the top girls track team before the spring is over. Jessica Gelibert recorded Long Island's fastest time in the 400 hurdles (63.50) and the 400 (56.49) at the Suffolk Coaches meet. Victories by Imani McGhee (39-8 1/4 in the triple jump) and Alexis Barrau (16-11 1/2 in the long jump) helped the Marauders improve to 2-0 in League III.
On the outside looking in -- H.H. Hills girls badminton, Hauppauge girls lacrosse, Kellenberg softball, H.H. Hills East boys tennis, St. Anthony's boys lacrosse.