MSG Varsity will post updated Section 1 boys basketball playoff standings throughout the final two weeks as we march towards the postseason. Below is the latest installment.
Section 1 Basketball Playoff Schedule
Feb. 11: Official playoff brackets are released
Feb. 13: Outbracket games, at higher seed
Feb. 15: Opening round games, at higher seed
Feb. 19-20: Quarterfinal games, at higher seed
Feb. 25-March 3: Championship Week at Westchester County Center
For a complete breakdown of the Section 1 playoff criteria, scroll to the bottom of the page. Any questions, contact Kevin Devaney Jr. via Twitter: @MSGVarsityKDJ or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Bonus points will NOT be awarded until an opponent has CLINCHED a .500 or .750 record.
BONUS POINT IMPACT
As of 2/9, there are six Section 1 teams that can still earn bonus points for their opponents. Here are they are the Section 1 teams that will be impacted:
Albertus Magnus (must beat Nanuet on Monday): Clarktsown South, Clarkstown North, Spring Valley, Suffern, North Rockland, Ramapo, Dobbs Ferry, Kennedy, Tappan Zee (2), Pearl River (2), Nyack (2), Nanuet (2), Croton-Harmon.
Bronxville (must beat Irvington on Monday): Putnam Valley (2), Gorton, Pelham, Hastings (2), Edgemont (2), Dobbs Ferry (2), Haldane (2), Tuckahoe (2), Irvington (2), Eastchester.
How to qualify
A team must have a winning percentage of at least:
- 25-percent of overall games
- 25-percent of league games
- 25-percent of class games
- 25-percent of class games, and above
Note: Only games played within the NYS Federation (NYSPHSAA, CHSAA, PSAL and NYIS) will count towards seeding formula. Games against out-of-state opponents will not be counted.
- Every victory counts as FOUR points, regardless of class
- Teams receive TWO bonus points for playing an opponent that finishes with a winning percentage of .750 and above by Feb. 13 (regardless if they win or lose). Opponents overall records will be counted.
- Teams receive ONE bonus point for playing an opponent that finishes with a winning percentage between .500-.750 by Feb. 10 (regardless if they win or lose). Opponents overall records will be counted.
- Once all points are tabulated, divide that sum by the total of games played against NYS Federation competition.
- Head to head
- Bonus points earned
- Winning percentage
- Common opponent
- Committee decision
Does this not make sense? See a mistake or just have a question about the process? Email Kevin Devaney Jr. at email@example.com. Or ask your questions on Twitter: @MSGVarsityKDJ