Power rankings: WE/HV boys basketball (12/6)
Follow basketball in the Hudson Valley on Twitter: @MSGVarsityHVC
Hudson Valley boys basketball rankings
1. Mount Vernon: Defending state and Federation champions are loaded again and poised for a seventh straight Section 1 championship.
2. Stepinac: The Crusaders have looked solid in every scrimmage so far and are ready to make a statement against a powerful St. Raymond squad on Friday.
3. Middletown: It might finally be the year NFA doesn’t win a championship in Section 9. Kendrick Ray (Quinnipiac) and Co. are that good.
4. Newburgh Free Academy: The revamped Goldbacks return three of Section 9’s best players in Jonte Rutty, Jordan Scurlock and Jason McAllister. For the first time in a long time, though, they’ll be title underdogs.
5. Burke Catholic: The defending Class B state champs have a wealth of talent, led by Lafayette-bound senior Zach Rufer.
6. Byram Hills: The Bobcats start the season in the Top 10 after sneaking up on the area last year and winning the Class A championship. The target is firmly on their backs.
7. Iona Prep: The Gaels opened the season with a convincing win over Salesian at home last Friday night. They’re heavy favorites in the redesigned A Division in the CHSAA.
8. New Rochelle: There’s been plenty of turnover on the Huguenots roster, and they could take lumps early. But expect them to be Mount Vernon’s toughest challenge to a title.
9. Red Hook: The two-time Section 9 Class A champs have a strong core back. Senior 6-3 forward Joe Stortini averaged 16 points per game last season.
10. Poughkeepsie: The tenth spot was a tough one. Poughkeepsie is so young and still searching for its identity. But the Pioneers always find a way.
Section 1 Rankings
1. Mount Vernon
2. New Rochelle
3. Fox Lane
4. North Rockland
5. White Plains
1. Byram Hills
3. Tappan Zee
4. Pearl River
1. Albertus Magnus
2. Dobbs Ferry
4. Blind Brook
Section 9 Rankings
League school (AA/A)
4. Red Hook
Small school (B/C)
1. Burke Catholic
3. Pine Plains
Email Kevin Devaney Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org