Power rankings: WE/HV hockey (12/27)
* Follow WE/HV hockey on Twitter @MSGV_Icass *
Top 10 Westchester/Hudson Valley hockey teams
1) Suffern (7-1) — Friday's 4-0 win over White Plains was a little closer than expected. Still, the fact remains: Suffern has yet to relinquish a goal in its four wins over Section 1 teams.
2) Rye (5-0) — Will the extended two-week break kill the Garnets' early-season momentum? Well, we are about to find out. Rye hits the road to face Section 6's West Seneca East and West Seneca West in back-to-back games on Dec. 28 and 29.
3) Pelham (5-1) — Like Rye, the Pelicans haven't played a game in quite some time. Pelham's 10-day break ends with a marquee matchup against Section 2's Saratoga on Dec. 28 at West Point's Tate Rink.
4) Rye Country Day School (3-2) — The Wildcats are recharging their batteries as they await a Jan. 4 showdown against rival Harvey.
5) Monroe-Woodbury (7-1) — The Crusaders rebounded from the Suffern loss with a convincing 6-1 win over Mamaroneck on Dec. 23. Bryan Veach netted a hat-trick to pace M-W's offense.
6) Eastchester/Tuckahoe/Bronxville (7-1) — ETB survived a brutal three-game, four-day stretch unscathed, scoring a trio of one-goal wins over Scarsdale, Ryetown/Harrison and Sleepy Hollow/Irvington. Chalk the narrow margin of victory over RTH and SHI to fatigue. Also, it's worth noting that ETB went 1-2 in one-goal games last season. The Eagles are now 3-0 in such games this year.
7) Scarsdale (3-2) — It's pretty crazy to think the Raiders have played just five games this season. They will look to rebound from a narrow 3-2 loss to ETB on Jan. 6 against an up-and-coming New Rochelle squad on Jan. 6.
8) Mahopac (7-3) — First-year coach Chris Lombardo put his foot down following an ugly 3-2 loss to L/P back on Dec. 18. And the Indians responded with back-to-back wins over White Plains and previously undefeated Brewster. If Mahopac continues to play mistake-free hockey, it has a real shot to make a run to West Point come playoff time.
9) Iona Prep (6-4-1) — Monday's unexpected 5-1 loss to St. Mary's snapped the Gaels' three-game winning streak. Iona Prep's official Twitter feed summed it up best: "Hard to post a league 5-1 loss." Coach Mike Bonelli's crew will look to get back on track against Chaminade on Dec. 28 at the Ice Hutch.
10) John Jay-Cross River (6-2) — JJ-CR's first game back from break is slated for Jan. 6 against Carmel. It will be a nice tuneup for the Indians' big showdown against league rival Brewster the following night.
* Records as of 12/26
Email Isaac Cass at Icass@cablevision.com | Follow him on Twitter @MSGV_Icass