Power rankings: WE/HV girls basketball (2/7)
Get the latest Hudson Valley girls basketball news on Twitter: @MSGVarsityKDJ
Hudson Valley Girls Basketball Rankings
Records through 2/6
1. Ossining (17-0): Despite a slow start, the Pride strolled to a victory on Monday at Byram Hills to inch closer to an undefeated season. They wrap things up on Saturday with a matchup against No. 3 Pearl River.
2. Irvington (16-1): The Bulldogs are far and away the favorite right now in Class B in Section 1 and are playing some of their best basketball of the season. That loss to Ossining three weeks ago may have refocused this team.
3. Pearl River (15-1): Have the Pirates reclaimed their spot as the No. 1 team in Class A? It seems that way. They had a strong effort on Monday, avenging their only loss of the season by beating Tappan Zee. But things only get tougher with Albertus on Wednesday and Ossining on Saturday.
4. Albertus Magnus (13-3): The Falcons are hot and head into Wednesday’s matchup at Pearl River with plenty of momentum. Considering how wild things have been with Pearl River, Albertus and TZ this season, we should almost expect a Falcons victory and for the three schools to all finish 1-1 head-to-head for the year.
5. Tappan Zee (15-2): Consider Monday’s defeat to Pearl River a very minor setback. This is a team that’s still learning how to win. They had their opportunities against the Pirates but couldn’t capitalize. They’re tested entering the playoffs.
6. Arlington (14-2): The Admirals close the regular season with perhaps their best games of the year, facing Lourdes on Wednesday in a game that could determine the No. 2 seed in the Class AA playoffs, and then Section 9 contender Cornwall on Saturday.
7. Lourdes (14-2): The Warriors are officially back to prominence in Section 1. They’ve won four straight since losing to Arlington on Jan. 19 and are poised to get revenge on Wednesday.
8. Hamilton (15-2): The Red Raiders continue to put up impressive numbers in the final weeks of the regular season. Maia Hood is averaging 22.8 points and 10.6 rebounds per game this season.
9. John Jay-EF (14-2): The Patriots should close out the regular season with two more victories and could have a shot at a Top 3 seed in the Class AA playoffs. Everyone knows how tough John Jay played Ossining in the playoffs last year. They’ll be a tough out again.
10. Hackley (10-0): The Hornets shouldn’t be overlooked when it comes to the top teams in the Hudson Valley. They’ve posted wins over Clarkstown South and Sleepy Hollow, and join Ossining as the lone undefeated teams left in the region.
Section 1 Rankings
4. John Jay-EF
1. Pearl River
2. Albertus Magnus
3. Tappan Zee
4. Byram Hills
5. John Jay-CR
3. Blind Brook
4. Dobbs Ferry
Section 9 Rankings
Large school (AA/A)
5. Red Hook
Small school (B/C)
1. Coleman Catholic
Email Kevin Devaney Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org